Free Case Evaluation

Fill out my online form.
Home / Areas of Practice / Family-Based Immigration
Text Size Decrease Font SizeIncrease Font Size

Areas of Practice

Family-Based Immigration

PDF Print

For individuals wanting to immigrate to the United States through a close family member who is already a US citizen or permanent resident.  This is the most common way that people immigrate to the U.S.

First, your relative must file an immigrant petition for you, which then must be approved by the CIS. Next, if you are an immediate relative of the petitioner (spouse, unmarried child under 21 years old or parents), you can apply for an immigrant visa or adjustment of status.  If not, you must wait for an immigrant visa number to be available to you. This process may take between 3 and 25 years, depending on your relationship and the number of other applicants from your home country. When the number becomes available, you may then apply for permanent resident status.

For more information on family-based immigration, visit this link.

Still have questions?  Contact us and let us help you decide what your case might be.


Twitter Updates

Contact Us

310 Fourth Avenue South #5010
Minneapolis, MN 55415
Phone: 612.789.0379
Fax: 612.843.4295

©2009 Streefland Law Firm
Attorney Website by The Modern Firm